Saturday, August 30, 2014

Celebrity Crushes-Good or Bad for Relationships?

Crushes are normal.  Unless it's for another species, they are healthy ways to admire beauty and awe or respect for people who may or not be attainable to you.  Relationships on the other hand are bonds that are meant not to be broken.  So, what happens when you have a crush on an unattainable person while in a relationship?  For most, it's harmless.  For others, it's forbidden.  I think the difference in the two revolves around a few things.  One, TRUST.  If your significant other can't trust you, good luck talking to them about anything else you have an attraction to.  Second, SELF-ESTEEM.  If your spouse lacks self-esteem on any level there is no way that they are gonna be ok with the comparisons drawn to anything else.  Third, RESPECT.  Some spouses feel disrespected when it comes to their partners looking anywhere else for gratification.  I think I have it easy.  I have all three when it comes to my relationship.  I trust my wife, am very confident in myself, and don't feel disrespected on any level by her.  Our communication is pretty bad ass to handle anything like that. She has a crush on Adrien Brody.  It's not hard to compete with a guy who looks like Gonzo and Kermit from the muppets had a baby and starved it.  She also likes Jason Staham.  That one would worry me a little bit.  He could slap me on national T.V. and all I'd be able to do is apologize for pissing him off.  I don't think she has much to worry about on my end.  All my crushes look like my wife anyway.  Fairuza Balk and Sarah Miller are pretty close.  The one that doesn't is Laura Calder but she lives in Canada so I don't think my wife is worried.  She has said that it would be different for her if these people were accessible to me.  I wouldn't worry if I were my wife, crushes to me are fantasy.  There are boundaries in fantasy though.  Look back at what I said about respecting your partner.  Just remember, beauty should be admired but not worshipped.  Crushes are normal, as long as the line isn't crossed based on your significant others' comfort level.  Till next time, I gotta go.  I have a French Food at Home marathon planned for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment