Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Stereotyping Mind of a Wal-Mart Greeter

A few years ago I discovered a disgusting trend in my daily life.  It seemed that everytime I walked into a Wal-Mart store I was never greeted by the person at the door who's sole reason for being employed by the company was to greet every customer at the door as they walked in to spend their hard earned pay.  As I started paying closer attention, I was also appalled to find that said greeter would ask to see my reciept as I left the store every time I left.  I kept tabs from then on to make sure it wasn't all in my head  and I would ask anyone I was with to observe.  The greeter never failed me, until one day I called one of the blue haired, blue vested, older than dirt bastards out.  As I was walking out, the authority of the door asked to see my reciept as usual.  I had just noticed that this was not asked of the couples that had exited before me so I asked why she didn't feel it was necessary to look my direction or say hello as I walked in.  She stuttered like Mel Tillis to get an answer out when I asked if it was because of my tattoos.  Still, no answer.  I asked if it was the way I dressed.  She started sweating like a teenage boy who's girlfriend missed a period.  I walked out without waiting for whatever made up answer the lady was gonna come up with before she had a heart attack.  I vowed that the next time this particular lady didn't say hello to me in a sincere manner, I was breaking someones hip.  Fast forward a few years to a swanky neighborhood grocery store.  My fiance' and I were looking for a particular bottle of wine to go with our dinner.  We got to the section of the store where the wine was sold and split up to find it.  One of the employees had a little table set up and was handing out samples of wine to the customers.  As I walked by, she didn't even try to make eye contact with me.  She offered everyone in front of me and behind me a sample so I purposely walked by her again, this time much slower.  She looked at me that time and gave a little half ass smile.  I walked by a third time and when I wasn't offered a sample I asked her why she hadn't offered one to me.  She was as surprised as someone getting walked in on while masturbating.  She nervously poured me a sample and handed it to me.  Her hands were shaking like Michael J. Fox's as she tried to keep the smile on her face.  I drank it like any good alcoholic would and told her that I was very impressed with it.  I asked her to hand me a bottle so I could buy it and as she did, I discovered that it was the wine that my fiance' and I had been looking for the whole time.  When asked why she didn't offer me some in the first place she replied "I didn't think that a man would like this particular wine."  It just goes to show you that one CANNOT judge someone by their appearence, sex, lack of appeal, or any other superficial factors.  These are just a few examples of what I feel that I go through on a daily basis.  It is a lesson that I wish was installed in everyone for many aspects of life.  Until the message gets through, I will continue my crusade of calling out those who don't treat everyone equally.  So if you hear of a man in Maryland who has a Wal-Mart greeter's shoe permanently planted in his ass, it was probably me picking a fight with pops cause the son of a bitch didn't say hello.

1 comment: