Saturday, February 25, 2012

A Fish Out of Water - My Night at the Ballet

Earlier in the week my lovely fiancé informed me that she had interest in going to an event in the big city of Washington D.C.  My first thoughts were a sporting event, maybe the Washington Capitals or Wizards.  I was getting ready to get stoked when the bomb was dropped.  She had gotten her hands on some tickets to the ballet and was as excited as a kid the night before their birthday about it.  At first I said no and the disappointment in her face was enough to make me change my mind about going.  All week long I couldn’t stand the thought of it.  I would have looked forward to going to the dentist before the ballet.  I worked an angle where I talked her into buying me a new dress hat in exchange for my sacrifice to attend the event.  Fast forward to Friday night and as luck would have it, my new hat arrived just in time to wear to the gathering of rich white assholes.  We took the metro into D.C. and there was a shuttle that took us directly to the Kennedy Center.  As the shuttle filled, I began to feel the discomfort set in.  The type of people that filed in could have been going to a lecture at Harvard for all I knew.  We arrived at the Kennedy center an hour early and to make my night better, I realized that they served beer!  This could be the key to getting me through this I thought.  They served three types of beer, upper class brew, CEO of the company ale, and my dad is Warren Buffet lager.  I chose the “it took me three days to earn what this 6 pack would cost” I.P.A.  The show was about to start and as the Winstons and Buffys took their seats the usher showed us to ours.  The lights dimmed, the curtain was about to raise and I whispered to my fiancé, "wouldn’t it be great if the Muppets came out right now", the people in the seats next to us were not amused.  The show started with a lonely guy dressed like Peter Pan's hairdresser and he started getting his grove on.  The pressure built as I couldn't control my urge to laugh out loud.  My body trembled uncontrollably as I fought to keep the laughter in.  He looked like Snoopy with turrets dancing on Linus's piano.  He was joined by several women later that looked like they just shared an apple for dinner backstage and left half of it.  After what seemed like an hour, the first scene was over and intermission started.  I bolted out the door like I had just learned I hit the lottery and hauled ass for the bar.  After dishing out a mortgage payment for the next round of drinks I could see the disappointment in my love's face.  We decided to leave after little discussion.  It was a great experience seeing how the other half of society lives.  I had been to the other end of the spectrum when I attended a WWE event several years back.  Overall, I learned that just cause some people don't understand why some of us enjoy Nascar races and tractor pulls, to me it's just as trivial as to why watching people dance in such fashion is entertaining to them.  The world needs that type of social balance for all of us to exist.  So the next time you want to knock someone’s form of entertainment, take a step back and analyze what it is that entertains you.  You may be surprised at how the other half would view it.

No comments:

Post a Comment